Zoo Boise Public Art Proposals On View

You are invited to comment on seven public art proposals created for Zoo Boise. Public comments will be collected from October 2nd – 19th. All public comments will be compiled and shared with decision makers.
_____________________________________________________________

View Proposal
_______________________

RACHEL TEANNALACH
Interconnected
View Proposal

________________________

Boise City’s public collection of over ninety works can be found on downtown plazas and streets and in public facilities such as City Hall, Boise Airport, parks and Public Library branches. 1.4% of all eligible Boise City capital projects are set aside to invest in site-specific artwork, with all artworks chosen through a democratic selection process. Public art invigorates residential and commercial zones, developing new places of beauty and interest and adding to civic vitality.

For Questions on this and other public artworks in Boise, Idaho please contact Karen Bubb, kbubb@cityofboise.org)

Post to Twitter

This entry was posted in PUBLIC ART, PUBLIC ART PROPOSALS and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Zoo Boise Public Art Proposals On View

1. Angie sebolt says:

I would love to see Reham’s projects at the zoo. I love both of them! Very creative and fun- which is what the zoo is all about! I have seen her work and she does an amazing job. Adding color, interest and education to the the zoo landscape would be wonderful!

2. Tiffany Hitesman says:

I would like to offer my support to Reham Aarti’s “Conserve and Protect” proposal, and to Robert Carter’s “Claws, Paws, Hooves and Feet.” I appreciate how Aarti brings an additional artist to the table to create her project, and I feel this project’s color, design, and theme will liven up the zoo aesthetic, while add points for conversation. Her other installation up 8th St. about nature shows her ability to create animals to life in the mosaic medium. Carter’s project will be a hit with kids. Feet are fun and this is a great way to think about animal differences and similarities.

3. Peter smith says:

Conserve and Protect is ZOO……so Reham…….and right on topic and theme.
    You got my vote girl !!!

4. Barbara Martin-Sparrow says:

I really like the Pierce and Inman proposals and art. My third favorite is the circular structure–but I could see it could have child potential accidents.–All are very creative–looking forward to seeing them.

5. Megan Burke says:

I would love to see either “Party Animals” by Reham Aarti or “Claws, Paws, Hooves and Feet” by Robert Carter at the Zoo! I think that they are both very creative as well as interactive – an entire scavenger hunt could be created with the “Party Animals”. And I love the concept of children being able to connect with the animals by both seeing them as well as comparing feet size – I think it will help them gain a better understanding of scale and how we differ from the animal. Plus, this one seems to be way under budget and you could add many more feet around the Zoo!

6. I like the concept and beautiful twist on habitat design from Marcus Pierce.

7. Paige W. says:

Pierce’s proposal is intriguing. It works on two levels. On one level, it will entertain kids to see animals in houses and push their imaginations with made up stories. On another level, starts the important conversation about habitats and wild life conservation. So brilliant.

8. Rose Jones says:

I love the mosaic sculptures in “Party Animals.” Imagine turning a corner to be greeted by one of those fun, delightful, and colorful animals!

9. ChristineZ says:

Absolutely love the lyrical quality of REHAM AARTI’s “Party Animals”

10. Kimberly Philley says:

I’m really impressed by Marcus Pierce’s concept–vivid, expertly rendered, and sparks my imagination–I would love to see it as a mural at the Boise Zoo.

11. Heather Plummer says:

Love the ideas, especially those of Marcus Pierce. Please choose him.

12. anonymous says:

As it’s not mentioned in her proposal, Teannalach’s project might be accidentally great when one considers the inversion that happens as viewers/participants enters into a confined, man-made-to-look-like-nature space wherein they can look OUT (through peep-holes) but are also susceptible to being looked AT by those looking in (that this process probably starts with one’s desire to see his/herself reflected, in a shiny surface–as we all do–is priceless). This work is rich with potential meanings–if one follows my interpretation–and seems to reflect the complicated relationship between human/ (captive) animal, natural vs. artificial reality, boundaries (literal and figurative), and the politics of looking/being looked at (theory jargon= “the gaze”). Even without all of this it is sufficiently “Art” (the reflective form alone, sans painting, would be pretty good), but the potential for deeper meanings accessible at a variety of levels makes it “good art”, in my opinion.

13. Adrienne Lane-Martin says:

Love the concept of Claws, Paws, Hooves & Feet. What a great idea for kids & adults to interact with the animals without ‘interacting with the animals’. Love it!

14. Abby says:

Pierce Project hands down. Very creative, clean looking, and combines the wild and home life beautifully! Genius style!

15. Nicole says:

My vote is for Marcus Pierce’s “Habitats!”

16. Nick Oelrich says:

I like Stephanie Inman’s Furcula. I like that this piece can act as a monument for an area in the zoo that needs some recognizable landmark. I like that it anticipates the arrival of a new animal to the zoo, and it can help advertise and celebrate this new animal. And even if the vulture is less exotic, or less popular than some other animals, it deserves recognition for its conservation needs.
    This piece is interesting and abstract, has additional layers of interaction with children and adults and maintains an educational element. I would love to see this work in the Zoo.