Grant Guidelines

The City of Boise’s Arts & History Grant program funds quality arts, history, and cultural projects that benefit Boise residents. Proposals are evaluated based on quality, community benefit, and management. Learn about the types of grant proposals the City of Boise supports and instructions on how to apply.

Overview

The Department of Arts & History Grant program funds quality arts, history, or cultural projects that benefit Boise residents. Proposals (which will take place between October 1, 2022, and September 30, 2023) are evaluated based on the following criteria (see Grant Criteria information for details):  

The purpose of the grant program is to help build, evolve, and reinforce a strong and equitable cultural community in Boise. We envision the program helping to bring people together to expand perspectives and build positive relationships that help create a city for everyone.
 
The Arts & History Grant program reflects priorities as outlined in the City of Boise Cultural Master Plan

New in 2023

Arts & History Grants

Timeline

How to Apply 

The Department of Arts & History uses the ZoomGrants platform for Grant applications. Need help with creating an account or have other ZoomGrants questions? Review a ZoomGrants Tutorial or head to ZoomGrants HELP & FAQs

Apply Now (opens May 1)

Funding Amounts 

The Department offers awards between $1,000 and $5,000 (in $500 increments). We expect to award a total of $150,000 for the FY2023 cycle. Most grant recipients are awarded the full amount requested. Funding requests cannot exceed 50% of total expenses as outlined in the budget Excel sheet in the Attachments section of the application. 

Note: We will process the first 80% of a grant award after the recipient (1) signs the Agreement; (2) fills out a W-9 form; and (3) submits an invoice. The remaining 20% of the award is processed after the recipient submits a final report and invoice.

Funding Limitations 

Starting in the FY2020 cycle, applicants who receive funding for three years in a row cannot apply again the fourth year but will be eligible to apply again after a one-year break. For example, Bernie's Ballet applies for and receives a grant in FY2020, FY2021, and FY2022. The organization cannot apply again in the FY2023 cycle but can apply again in the FY2024 cycle.

Eligibility

To be considered for funding through the Arts & History Grant program, proposals must: 

Boise City Department of Arts & History does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or disability.

Types of Applications Accepted  

We strive to fund a wide range of projects and initiatives with an art, history, or cultural focus, such as (but not limited to) the following: Performances

Browse a list of current and past Grant Recipients.

Ineligible Applications 

The following types of organizations and requests are not eligible for funding(Note: This list is not exhaustive.) 

Suggestions for Applicants  

Note: We will process the first 80% of a grant award after the recipient (1) signs the Agreement; (2) fills out a W9 form; and (3) submits an invoice. The remaining 20% of the award is processed after the recipient submits a final report and invoice.

Expectations if Awarded

If your proposal is awarded, please be aware that you need to complete the following to receive your funding (this information will be included with award notifications).

Quick Links

Questions?

Contact Amy Fackler, Cultural Programs Manager.

We encourage persons with disabilities and those who require language assistance to apply. If you anticipate needing accommodation, please contact Jennifer Yribar as soon as possible, but not later than 72 hours before the application is due. To request assistance, you may also dial TTY 1-800-377-3529.